Solvang Cycling Training Camp
Solvang, CA week long training camp brought to you by Dog Star Adventure Tours. Whether you are new to riding or have countless centuries or race wins to your credit, we invite you to join us for this fun filled cycling week. Nothing enhances your winter training program like a week away from the stress of work, home and “fitting in your rides”. During the day you get to focus on riding and improving your endurance. At night you have earned rest and relaxation: Whether that is a massage, a beverage, a Strava bragging session, or a good book, take this “me” time and own it…just remember we are back in the saddle the next day.
We will basecamp from our lodging choice in Solvang, this will help us focus on riding and not setting up shuttles. During the day we will have van support for water bottle refreshing, riding food hand-ups and assistance if you start out too quick and bonk. Dog Star Adventure Tours prides itself in providing hands-on and personal service. We will cater to your needs, while pushing your current fitness level.
From $1199 per person (depending on hotel accommodations and Airfare is NOT included in this package)
Rider Type: Active / Avid
Duration: 7 days | 6 nights
Dates: May 10th-16th & May 17th-23rd
Daily riding plan:
Day 1: Ride the Amgen Tour of California Solvang ITT Course
- Approximately 15-20 miles with 900-1700 feet of climbing
- A scenic ride out to Los Olivos, followed by the beautiful Ballard Canyon, site of numerous Amgen Tour of California time trials. Let’s get a base reading on your personal fitness and your goals for the week.
Day 2: Jalama Beach and Back
- Approximately 75 miles with 3,600 feet of climbing
- We are here to ride so lets jump in. This 75 mile ride will bring us through winer country, amazing scenery and enough rolling hills to pass the time quickly. If you haven’t been riding this distance at this point that’s ok, we will have enough support to allow you to pace yourself. If you have been crushing your winter riding schedule you can set the pace at the front.
Day 3: Lompoc Loop | Scenic Santa Rosa Road
- Approximately 45-60 miles with 1700-3000 feet of climbing
- We will ride on Hwy. 246 to the town of Lompoc, then take the scenic rolling hills of Santa Rosa Road back to Solvang. We will be passing many famous wineries along the way, remember the movie Sideways but we will be avoiding the wine temptation…at least until we get back to our residence.
Day 4: Zaca Station and Alisos Canyon
- Approximately 24-50 miles with 1200-2900 feet of climbing
- After two tough back to back days we will draw it back with this beautiful ride. We will also be rewarded great views of Figueroa Mountain, our ride for the next day. This will get all of us super pumped for the ride up it’s flanks the next day.
Day 5: The climb up Mt. Figueroa
- Approximately 50 miles with 5,000 feet of climbing
- Bring on the Beast…We are super excited to include this epic 10 mile climb up Mt. Figueroa! One of the classic climbs of Santa Barbara County, cross your fingers for a clear day and enjoy stunning views of the Santa Ynez Valley and the Channel Islands on a clear day.
Day 6: Three Canyon”s Ride
- Approximately 60-90 miles miles with 3700-6500 feet feet of climbing
- Drum Canyon to Cat Canyon to Foxen Canyon. Amazing views accompany you all day as you undulate through the various canyons of the SantaYnez Valley. After climbing Mt. Figueroa the day before we will be pumped for this ride. After 6 days of great riding we will all be feeling strong and ready for this challenge.
Day 7: Santa Ynez Loop
- Approximately 20 miles with 670 feet of climbing
- Relaxing recovery ride in the valley. Great last ride through wine country. This is the day to reflect on your week of riding, your plans for riding after returning home and just enjoying being on your bike one more day in this idyllic setting.
- Hotel accommodations for the 6 nights of the trip.
- Daily breakfast, sack lunches, 4 dinners, and all snacks and drinks for each day. A daily breakfast buffet is included each morning as well as a sack lunch, energy bar and fruit for your ride. Most dinners will be with the group but some nights are on your own in town (with suggested options). We will always try to accommodate dietary restrictions and food allergies at meals but please be aware that in some cases you may need to pack supplemental options).
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides and daily route support
- We provide transportation to and from Airport, assistance with bike assembly (f needed), bike fitting suggestions (if wanted), our constant encouragement and cycling expertise.
If you have any questions regarding this ride please contact Joel Thompson, Owner of Dog Star Adventure Tours at 971-221-6441.
Request Information On This Trip